Image Map

Monday, July 16, 2007

Head and Shoulder Pads above you!


So... I read so many blogs where the writer is trying to solve the problems of the world. Well, I just want to solve my own problems in my own "special" way. Once someone said(I think it was Oprah to tell you the truth)that if you want to take ten pounds off your look, add a set of shoulder pads. So I did the math and wore two sets. Problem solved. But that was in the eighties and now the shoulder pad thing is way more than a habit. See, in my thinking, a well placed set of squared off shoulderpads might have the illusion of angle versus roundness. I bought in for sure. You may say who am I kidding?
Even though my "New MIllenium" type offspring chose to shame me into getting rid of the loved accessory, I hang on even after phrases like'"Mom the Eighties called, they want their shoulder pads back!" I confess that I had a shoulder pad crisis just week or so ago. Having returned from the Utah and Vegas Road Trip of '07 and pulling out the laundry where of course I had worn the over used and slightly shabby shoulder pads, I noticed just one in the mix. Just one. One does not a pair make. Uh Oh.... One shoulder pad is not the look you go for. Now imagine me going not just one day, but a Sunday no less and a couple(it's blurry how many) days without the all important addition. There are so many looks that just "need" the shoulder pads. So it all but eliminated half of my wardrobe. So I take my bad self down to the local Joanns Fabrics store, on another errand of course, and purchase a pair, brand new and all stiff and a little fake looking to be quite honest. But I know that they have to be broken in so here goes. Two days I use them, sort of depressed that they are not the "real" ones and then what do you know, the other "lost" shoulder pad just appeared on the stack of laundry. Hmmmm... sabatoge you might deduce or dare I say fate? All is right with the world again and now I can go for the two set option again if I choose and I can almost hear you saying, "Hey you look nice in that outfit...are those shoulder pads?"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think the best part of this is the thought that the "new" shoulder pads might look "fake." I suppose I am unsure as to what the "real thing" is. (Aren't they all the same?) To some of us "new millenium" types, it may always seem "fake." But sos you know- you sport them well, I think they are very useful.... (admittedly I can't tell the difference) but perhaps they are symbolic... ya know- a soft shoulder to cry on...etc.