Image Map

Thursday, February 14, 2008

I'm seeing Red!


Usually the phrase"I'm seeing Red" is understood to mean that I'm mad, maybe not just mad, but furious. W-e-l-l, as many of you know I have an addiction to the color Red. It does not make me mad, sad or otherwise. It makes me happy:) So today, honoring the 2nd best day of the year(Christmas being the first) we are having a Sweetheart Dinner. This tradition started some 25 years ago. Our little family, all boys, lived in Gilbert at the time. Our Gilbert 1st Ward had a dinner where a few couples(Parker and I and some others) hosted 3-4 other couples and fed, entertained, delighted etc. them. Well, our young boys thought that all the preparations were fun but when we sent them to their rooms to bed, banished for the evening, one of them asked, "Why don't you ever make a party for us?" Pretty pathetic don't you think? Well, the next evening (since I was already set up) I repeated the party for our little family complete with the gourmet meal, the favors, the games and the kids loved it! We repeated the tradition, and over the years have had some big fun. Each person eligible(16 yrs +)must bring a date. We also include some minor etiquette training for example, which fork to use, or pleasant table conversation(using a game called {Roll The Dice}).
Some of our Sweetheart Dinner Highlights include -
"My Big Fat Greek Valentine's Day", where we ate Greek food inspired by our Nephew who served his mission in Greece and learned some things about the Greek Alphabet etc then of course we watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
One year all the food was Red! Come on, you know Tomato soup, Red meat, Red Velvet Cake, you get the idea. That was fun and following the food was a game of Red Playdoh pictionary. That year, Red was the theme and it will be again Tonight. We will be Celebrating the 7th Day of Chinese New Year! You might be saying, "Peg, Isn't that a stretch?" Well no, actually Chinese New Year Started on the 7th of February and lasts 15 days. On this day, in celebration, people gather with their families and eat noodles for longevity, prosperity etc. I'm in for both of those.

So we will eat noodles or know the reason why! And what about my fixation on Red? W-e-l-l, don't you worry, wearing red, decorating in red, and anything you might want to do with red is positive in the Chinese culture. I can definitely wrap my brain around a Culture with so much "taste."
The flamingos are just for a favorite blogger friend who asked about them! Enjoy! Happy Friday the 15th of Who cares now that Valentines Day is over. Sorry this post had to be worked around a ton of prep for our S.D. Which, by the way, was a great success! Heart you all, Peg

9 comments:

•stephanie• said...

I LOVE THE FLAMINGOS! So glad they could make this post. Thanks for the darling treat I found late last night. You are one amazing gal to still keep up your sweetheart tradition when I know for a fact you are crazy busy. ♥

•stephanie• said...

um . . . no wonder i haven't seen my comments yet. you changed your settings. no need to post multiple comments from ADD commenters. sorry. i'll stop bugging now!

maccam said...

I'm sorry, that was amazing, astonishing, astounding, fantastic, fantastical, incredible, marvelous, miraculous, phenomenal, prodigious, stupendous, unbelievable, wonderful, wondrous, divine, glorious, sensational, splendid, superb, terrific, wonderful meal...and decor...and games..and, especially, company..LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
Thanks for such a good time.
I need to get some pictures. Did Grandma take most of the them?

Lori said...

Peggy you are AMAZING! And lately I have been feeling like...Where did my friend go? It seems like it has been ages since we have seen each other. I know you have been swamped, and I hope all is going well with the school play. I can't wait to come see it. THanks for the darling hanky, that was so sweet.

Tyler and Lindsee said...

I have always thought that was the greatest tradition ever and was always jealous that I wasn't a boy when Meg had to find a date in high school for it. SO FUN!! I am going to copy you!!

Janet said...

So Peg, I just found your Blog and saw Glenna, so it is a good day. As I read back I saw your post on Tim Filicha. Tim's dad was Steve's favorite companion in Mexico. We didn't hear the sad news (we get the Republic). Also I didn't know about Rob. The kids and I were in Vegas last Sat. and we are going to see Love soon and now we'll need to see Spamalot too.
Brad's papers are still in SLC, (4 weeks now) no news yet. luv ya

Emily Moffat said...

I L-O-V-E your R-E-D. I have such fond memories of my first sweetheart dinner. I was tired from Hello Dolly rehearsal and I had an English assignment due by midnight that night, and I was so happy to escape and just had the best time. I remember tomato soup with cream in the shape of a heart--everything was so cute. Course now I know cute is the standard for such parties. I love this tradition.

angiedunn said...

I love your idea about the sweetheart dinner. Perhaps I shall implement that into the Dunn family future.

Red=the perfect color for you. I'm a fan as well!

Happy last few days of your fave month...

♥♥♥

Mac and Kelly said...

I remember being Meg's date one year, even though I am a girl...good times.