Image Map

Friday, November 11, 2011

Veterans... Love them.

M.O.G. Day 11   -  Veterans Day 
True that!
So today I woke up to a flag in our front yard,  which means it's a Flag Waving Holiday.  But then I saw this on face book and thought, "Light Bulb!"Extra points for the knowledge of the movie. 
11-11-11 Veterans Day!
You might not know that my dad actually served for three months at sea in 1945 and here is his "stuff"
 to prove it.  He was in the Merchant Marines a division of the  Coast Guard and in his life story he says: 
"In January 1945, I went to San Francisco and signed up with the Merchant Marines. We made one trip to Okinawa, carrying ammunition. My job was messman on the ship and I served the captain and crew their breakfast. I was on the ship three months. " 

That was about all that was recorded about his service. During that three months, my Sister Nancy was born.  She was Mom and Dad's 3rd child.  
 I am grateful that my dad made it back safely to our family.  I'm the 7th Child and I guess that would have been no good otherwise. It was a tough time for Mom I heard.  Also the time Dad spent in the Merchant Marines was full of stories and family folk lore that I heard just often enough to be dangerous as to my memory of details.  
One of the stories dealt with the serving breakfast to the captain.  It was one of the first days at sea and the Captain always took Catsup on his eggs.  Dad, being the helpful messman that we was, loosened the lid of the Catsup bottle, to make life easier for the Captain.  One little detail of the information was left out for my Dad in that he did know that the Captain always shook the Catsup bottle before using it.  Now, you are supposed to imagine what happened next, right? You would be right.
Second and final story I'll tell was one of those that grew a little bigger every time it was told.  It goes like this..... Dad had watch one night on the ship, and sleeping was not allowed on watch.  In fact, it was a punishable offense and had serious consequences attached to it.  Well, it had been a tough day, and as you might guess, Dad dozed.  He woke up with his head down and arms crossed (probably drooling) and to his worry, saw a very shiny pair of shoes at the end of a pair of pressed officer's uniform pants, facing him.  Owing to my Dad's quick thinking and creativity, Dad raised his head slowly and said, "Amen."  The officer patted Dad on the arm and said, "Put in a good word for me next time, will you, Arnett?"
Gotta love those War Stories, right? 
I am grateful for those who serve and have served to keep us free and protected.  
May we Honor them always.

1 comment:

•stephanie• said...

did you know that bill's dad served in the merchant marines also. they probably knew each other. {jk}